Vegetable Quinoa Chickpea Burgers
Spring is officially here, which means grilling season is just around the corner. These veggie-packed quinoa burgers are about to become your summer grilling go-to with an easy-to-make recipe and an even easier to eat flavor! And since Ancient Harvest Organic Quinoa is pre-washed and rinsed, you can get to cooking – and eating – even faster.
- 1/2 cup Ancient Harvest™ Harmony Blend Organic Quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 flax egg (1 1/2 tablespoons ground flax seeds + 3 tablespoons water, set aside for 5 minutes)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons guar gum (optional, creates a sturdier patty)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Burger toppings: tomato slices, avocado, lettuce
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions, cooking in vegetable broth instead of water.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and sauté onions until translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in red bell pepper, celery, mushrooms, and carrots and cook for another 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas and stir together with quinoa, flax egg and cooked veggies. Add spices, mustard, guar gum, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, stirring to combine.
- Set a pan with olive oil over medium-high heat and form 4 patties with the quinoa vegetable mixture. Cook the patties for about 5 minutes on each side, until golden.
- Assemble burgers and enjoy!