These gluten-free donuts have been baked instead of fried, are packed with the nutrients found in quinoa with Ancient Harvest™ Quinoa Flour, and topped with a frosting that gets its coloring from beets. The taste is incredible, and the entire recipe is made with deliciously wholesome ingredients.
Baked Gluten-Free Donuts with Beet Pink Frosting
- 1 ½ cups Ancient Harvest™ Gluten-Free Quinoa Flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Beet Pink Frosting
- 2 fresh beets
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, butter, egg and vanilla.
- Gently fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into donut pan and bake for 10 minutes, or until they spring back when pressed.
- Allow donuts to cool before frosting.
Beet Pink Frosting:
- Rinse, trim and chop beets. Place in a food processor and grind to a pulp.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine milk and beet pulp. Bring to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Set a strainer over a bowl and pour mixture through, pressing the beets to squeeze out all the liquid.
- Add butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, salt and 5 tablespoons of the beet milk to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until fluffy.
- To thicken the frosting, add more powdered sugar; add more beet milk to thin.
Other topping options: peanut butter, cinnamon sugar, or traditional powdered sugar.