Gluten-Free Quinoa con Pollo
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- Kosher or fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups Ancient Harvest Traditional or Tri Color Quinoa
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups gluten free chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups (10 ounces) frozen peas
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the onion, peppers, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, turmeric, and red pepper flakes and stir to coat. Add the chicken stock, bay leaves, and ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, add the chicken back to the pan, stir well, cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked, the liquid absorbed, and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the peas and cilantro, cover the pan and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.