Gluten-Free Savory Summer Tart with Quinoa Crust
- Gluten free non-stick cooking spray
- 1 cup Ancient Harvest™ Traditional White Quinoa Grains
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- ⅓ cup hot water
- ½ cup gluten-free almond flour
- ¼ cup tapioca or corn starch
- Kosher or fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 -3 large, ripe tomatoes, sliced ¼-inch thick
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 4 large eggs
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
- Place the quinoa on a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Make the flax gel: In a small bowl, combine the ground flax seed with hot water and let sit for 15 minutes.
- When the quinoa has cooled, place in a food processor and process for 30 seconds. Add the almond flour, starch, and ¾ teaspoon of salt. Pulse to combine. Add the flax gel and 1 tablespoon olive oil and process until the mixture holds together when pressed. Spread into the prepared pie plate and bake for 5 minutes. Leave the oven on.
- Brush the bottom of the tart crust with the mustard. Layer the tomatoes in concentric circles in the crust. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, the basil and chives.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and goat cheese together. Pour over the tomatoes, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until the filling is set and the top is starting to brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Can be served warm, at room temperature, or cold.