Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
Created by Wendy at Fit-and-Frugal.com for the 2015 #QuinoaCookieSwap
- 2 cups Ancient Harvest quinoa flour, plus additional for rolling
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- ½ cup firm coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal mixed with 2 ½ tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- Optional: powdered sugar, icing, or decorations of choice
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In a separate bowl, mix brown sugar, molasses, and coconut oil and beat on a low with a mixer to thoroughly blend. Beat in (flax) egg and almond butter.
- Gradually add flour to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Press into a ball, cover and chill dough for at least one hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Carefully roll out dough on a floured surface to approximately ¼ inch thickness, generously sprinkling the top of the dough with flour before rolling.
- Carefully cut dough into desired shapes. Use a spatula to lift shapes and place on baking sheet one inch apart.
- Next, use a lightly floured spatula to carefully transfer the cookies to a baking sheet, working quickly. Leave 2 inches for spreading.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until they appear only slightly browned on the edges. Let cool and decorate.