Vegan Maple-Date Bars
Created by Wendy at Fit-and-Frugal.com for the 2015 #QuinoaCookieSwap. For Quinoa Flakes cooking instructions and recipe ideas, visit our How To Use Quinoa Flakes page.
- 1 1 /2 cups chopped, pitted Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4 cup rolled oats (if gluten-free, use only Certified GF rolled oats)
- 1 cup Ancient Harvest™ quinoa flour
- ½ cup Ancient Harvest™ quinoa flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup coconut oil (softened but not melted)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- cooking spray
- Combine dates, water, orange juice, maple syrup and orange zest in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring regularly, 10- 12 minutes, or until achieving a jam-like consistency. Remove from burner.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oats, quinoa flour, quinoa flakes, salt, baking soda and brown sugar. Whisk to combine. Add softened coconut oil and stir with a fork to form a crumbly mixture.
- Measure out 3/4 cup of crumble mixture and place into a separate bowl. Mix in brown sugar with a whisk or fork and set aside. Add ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce to remaining crumble mix and combine. Press into bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Use a spatula to spread date paste evenly over base.
- Top date paste with remaining crumble mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting and serving.