This delicious Gluten-Free Pizza crust goes well with a variety of toppings, including this Thai Chicken & Vegetable Pizza recipe. See steps 7 & 8 in Instructions for Vegan Kale and Mushroom Pizza, and Margherita Pizza with Fresh Tomatoes, Basil and Mozzarella variations. Created by Wendy at Fit-and-Frugal.com Adapted from Simply Quinoa’s Ultimate Quinoa Pizza Crust.
- For the Crust:
- 3/4 cup Ancient Harvest traditional white quinoa, soaked for 6 – 8 hours (or overnight)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Optional: 2 teaspoons mixed herbs (basil, oregano, herbs de provence)
- Cooking spray
- For the Toppings (optional):
- ¼ cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water or orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced (about ½ of one pepper)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast, cubed
- ¼ cup chopped roasted peanuts
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare a 9″ cake pan with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Drain quinoa and transfer to a blender or food processor. Add remaining ingredients and blend on high until smooth and creamy. This should resemble a thick pancake batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes. Remove, flip and return to oven baking for another 10 – 15 minutes until browned and edges are crispy.
- While crust is baking, prepare the sauce: in a small bowl, whisk 8 ingredients (peanut butter through garlic powder). Spread over baked crust.
- Top sauce with sliced peppers, chicken and scallions. Return to oven and bake approximately 12 minutes.
- Let cool, and serve garnished with chopped roasted peanuts and cilantro. Transfer cutting board and slice.
- For Vegan Kale and Mushroom Pizza: In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium. Add ½ of a small red onion, sliced, and cook and stir for 8-10 minutes, or until browning. Add ½ cup sliced baby portabella mushrooms and 3 cloves garlic, minced, and cook, continuing to stir, 3 minutes. Add 2 cups loosely packed chopped kale leaves, ribs removed, and cook until wilted, 3-4 minutes. Spread ⅓ cup tomato sauce over baked crust. Spread kale mixture over sauce and bake a further 15 minutes.
- For Margherita Pizza with Fresh Tomatoes, Basil and Mozzarella: Top baked crust with ⅓ cup tomato sauce, ¼ cup fresh torn basil leaves (about 10 – 12), 1 plum or heirloom tomato, cut in approximately ¼-inch thick slices, and 4 to 6-ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced. When returning to oven, place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, or increase heat to 500 F and bake 10 – 12 minutes further.