Vegan Mac and Cheese
There’s more than one way to make vegan mac and cheese, but this recipe by @eatwithclarity may be our favorite so far. Give it a try with a protein punch thanks to Ancient Harvest POW! Chickpea Elbows.
- 16 ounces Ancient Harvest POW! Chickpea Elbows
- 1 head + 6 cloves garlic
- 2.5 cups unsweetened and unflavored almond milk
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) olive oil
- 5 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan
- 1/2 tsp black or white pepper
- 1/3 tsp sea salt (or more to taste)
- Pinch of paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take the whole clove of garlic and cut off the top part so you can see the inside of each clove.
- Drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil, wrap in foil, and place in the oven.
- Roast for 45 minutes.
- During the final 10 minutes, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Make the vegan parmesan by processing 1 cup cashews, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp garlic, and 1/4 tsp sea salt in a food processor until a fine powder forms.
- Peel and mince the other 6 cloves of garlic and saute with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- When the garlic starts to brown, add the almond milk and the arrowroot powder.
- Let simmer on low heat until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken slightly.
- Add the mixture to a blender with 1/2 cup of vegan parmesan, 1/4 cup of the nutritional yeast, and all remaining ingredients including the roasted garlic. If you squeeze the bottom of the garlic, the inside should just squeeze out right into the blender. Try to avoid getting any of the skin in there.
- Process the mixture until completely smooth.
- Add back to the saute pan and add the remaining bit (3 tbsp) of nutritional yeast.
- Stir on low heat until it starts to thicken. After 5-10 minutes the mixture should be very thick and cheesy. If it does not thicken, add an additional tsp of arrowroot.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Add the cooked pasta into the sauce and stir until well coated.
- Serve immediately.