Vegan Quinoa Sushi
This vegan quinoa sushi is SO good, you won’t miss the fish! We’ve swapped white rice for quinoa to double the protein and flavor in this vegan quinoa sushi recipe.
- ¾ C dry Ancient Harvest Traditional Quinoa
- 1.5 C + 2 TBSP water
- 1.5 TBSP rice vinegar
- 1 TBSP Sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2 medium to large avocados
- 1 large cucumber
- 10 nori sushi sheets
- Coconut aminos, tamari, or soy sauce for dipping (optional)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Bamboo mat (a non-stick flexible pastry mat can work too)
- Sushi knife
- Marinade brush
- Rice paddle
- Combine sugar, salt, and vinegar in a small bowl and stir until dissolved. Set aside
- In a large pot lid, combine ¾ cup Ancient Harvest Traditional Quinoa and 1.5 cups water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes until quinoa is fluffy and translucent. Fluff with a fork and pour into a ceramic or glass mixing bowl. Immediately refrigerate.
- While quinoa is cooling, wash the cucumber and bell pepper. Slice cucumber, bell pepper, and avocado into long, vertical strips. The bell pepper and cucumber strips should measure about ¼ of an inch in thickness, or a ½ an inch depending on preference.
- Prepare your sushi rolling station by laying out the bamboo mat, adding 2 tbsp of water to a ramekin, place veggies in organized piles on the cutting board. Set marinade brush next to ramekin of water.
- Once quinoa is back to about room temperature or cool, add vinegar mixture and stir in.
- Use rice paddle to add quinoa to the nori sushi sheets, applying a generous, even layer of quinoa, leaving about an inch of space on the bottom free of quinoa to help with rolling. Use photo for reference. Leave the top 1/3 of the nori sheet free of quinoa.
- Add veggie strips on top of the quinoa.
- Dip marinade brush in ramekin of water and paint the water on the top edge (about an inch) of the nori so it will stick when you roll it.
- Use bamboo mat to roll the nori from the bottom up to the top where the water has been brushed on.
- Cut and serve! Optional: top with sesame seeds and serve with dipping sauce.