A flavorful carrot cake is a classic springtime dessert that, with the help of gluten-free flour, can be made deliciously gluten-free. Plus, a homemade cream cheese frosting adds the perfect finishing touch to this easy-to-make (and even easier to eat) treat.
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake with a Cream Cheese Frosting
2 cups gluten-free flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup organic cane sugar
2/3 cup coconut sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 extra-large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups carrots, finely shredded
½ cup pureed carrots
1 cup coconut flakes
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Heat oven to 350° F, grease 2 9-inch round cake pans and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together gluten-free flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add sugars to the bowl of a stand mixer and slowly incorporate the melted coconut oil until creamy.
- With mixer running, add the eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mixing until just fully combined.
- Fold in pureed carrots, shredded carrots and coconut flakes.
- Pour batter evenly between 2 pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, until center is set.
- Allow cakes to cool before frosting.
- While cakes are cooling, cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Sift in confectioners sugar, and continue beating until smooth. Add vanilla and stir to combine.
- Top with chopped walnuts, if desired.