At Ancient Harvest, we love simple and nutritious recipes that can be made from a handful of whole ingredients. One of the quickest ways to create a deliciously wholesome meal is to start with our protein-packed POW! Red Lentil Rotini and mix in your favorite in-season veggies and herbs, like butternut squash and fresh sage.
Pan-Fried Protein Pasta with Butternut Squash, Crispy Sage, and Toasted Pine Nuts Ingredients
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh sage leaves
- 2 boxes Ancient Harvest POW!™ Red Lentil Rotini
- 3/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 4 ounces Parmesan, shredded
- Heat the oven to 375° F.
- Cut the butternut squash in half, remove the pulp and seeds, and peel the skin.
- Cut the squash into 1-inch cubes, mince half the sage leaves and toss with the onion, garlic, a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. Spread in an even layer on a large baking sheet and roast until the squash becomes soft, about 30-40 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, until al dente.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. When the oil begins to sputter, carefully drop in the remaining sage leaves and fry for about a minute, or until they begin to just shrivel up.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and salt lightly. Crush with the back of a spoon.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add the pasta to the sauté pan with the roasted squash mixture and crumbled sage, stirring frequently until pasta is heated through and starting to crisp. Add pine nuts and cook for another minute. Stir in half the cheese and serve with remaining cheese as optional garnish.