With chillier weather on its way and deliciously vibrant fall produce coming into season, it’s the perfect time to make a giant batch of this Root Vegetable Minestrone. Simmer together kale, butternut squash and zucchini with warming herbs and vegetable broth for the base of this hearty soup, then add in our POW! Black Bean Elbows for a plant-based protein punch.
Here’s a time-saving tip: make a giant batch of the vegetable and stock base, divide into single-serve or family-size portions and freeze. When you’re ready to enjoy a bowl, simply reheat the soup and add in POW! Black Bean Elbows and voila – a wholesome meal is on the table in no time.
Root Vegetable Minestrone
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 2 1/2 cups diced butternut squash
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons finely minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoons thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 box Ancient Harvest POW!™ Black Bean Elbows
- 2 cups packed chopped kale (thick ribs removed)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots and saute 3 minutes then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Stir in vegetable broth, potatoes, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow veggies to cook for about 10 minutes, then bring to a boil and stir in pasta, kale and kidney beans.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until pasta is fully cooked and kale is tender.
- Remove bay leaves, serve warm.