When we think of classic Italian dishes, a creamy and flavorful carbonara is near the top of the list. In true Ancient Harvest form, we’ve taken this traditional recipe up a few nutritional notches with butternut squash, shiitake bacon, and our POW! Green Lentil Spaghetti with 25g of plant-based protein per serving.
Butternut Squash Carbonara
- 1 small butternut squash
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 box Ancient Harvest POW!™ Green Lentil Spaghetti
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter, or vegan butter substitute
Shiitake Bacon Ingredients:
- 2½ cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon smoke salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Toss sliced shiitakes in olive oil, salt, smoke salt, and black pepper, then arrange in a single layer on the pan.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, flipping every 8-10 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer to a paper towel, pat off excess oil and set aside.
Butternut Squash Carbonara:
- Peel the butternut squash and cut into ½-inch slices. Arrange on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes at 350°F, or until fork tender, flipping after 10 minutes. Remove from oven and place in food processor.
- In a medium frying pan over medium heat, add olive oil and onions, cooking and stirring until fragrant and caramelized.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of pasta water for the sauce.
- Place the pasta water in the food processor with the squash, almond milk and vinegar and puree until very smooth and creamy. Toss with cooked pasta.
- Top with shiitake bacon and caramelized onions. Serve immediately.