Nothing says “Italian comfort food” quite like a giant plate of spaghetti and meatballs. Easily give this pasta dish a gluten-free upgrade with a few ingredient swaps using Ancient Harvest™ favorites.
Instead of using ground beef or turkey to make your meatballs, try using Ancient Harvest™ Organic Quinoa to create a tasty vegan version that’s packed with plant protein. When a recipe calls for flour, swap in Ancient Harvest™ Organic Quinoa Flour to make your dish deliciously gluten-free. Finally, it’s time to say goodbye to regular pasta noodles and jump on the ancient grain bandwagon with an entire line-up of Gluten-Free Supergrain Pastas.
Vegan Quinoa Meatballs Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 medium onion
chopped 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
1 can chickpeas
1 cup cooked Ancient Harvest™ Organic Inca Red Quinoa Grains
3 tablespoons Ancient Harvest™ Organic Quinoa Flour
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, then add seasonings and cook for another few minutes. Onions should be translucent and mushrooms should be soft.
- Add chickpeas and onion-mushroom mixture to a food processor, pulsing until well blended. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add cooked quinoa, quinoa flour, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper, mixing by hand until thoroughly combined.
- Shape quinoa mixture into 2-inch balls and arrange on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turning halfway through, until balls are browned and crispy on the outside.