Easy Mushroom Polenta Bites
Created by Wendy at Fit-and-Frugal.com These appetizers are the perfect solution for entertaining a crowd. Make the mushroom topping up to 2 days in advance and simply put the polenta rounds in to bake before your guests arrive. Heat topping, assemble, and serve without breaking a sweat.
- 1 roll Ancient Harvest™ polenta, sliced into 12-15 rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups mixed gourmet blend mushrooms (shitake, maitake, crimini, baby bello), trimmed and chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup dry white wine or low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a 9 X 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange rounds on dish in a single layer and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browning. Turn and bake a further 10 minutes.
- While polenta is baking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are browned, approximately 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring and scraping browned bits until onion is softened, 3-4 minutes. Stir in wine, thyme, sage, salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, until liquid is evaporated, about 2-3 minutes further. Remove from heat.
- Top polenta rounds with mushroom mixture and sprinkle with cheeses.
- Reduce heat to 400 F. Bake 10 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and browning.
- Vegan option: omit cheese; spoon topping over rounds and keep warm until ready to serve.