Sweet, homemade apple pie fresh out of the oven – is there anything better? What if that apple pie was filled with the filling fiber and satisfying complete protein found in Ancient Harvest™ Quinoa? That nutritiously sweet combination sounds like a slice of ancient grain heaven.
This Single-Serve Baked Apple Pie Quinoa recipe, which makes 4 servings, is delicious as a dessert topped with Greek yogurt, or prepare them in mini baking dishes for a sweet main dish for brunch.
Make this at home in a brand new Le Creuset® set by entering the Food That Loves You Back Sweepstakes from Ancient Harvest.
Baked Apple Pie Quinoa Ingredients
Makes 4 Servings
1 1/3 cup water
1/2 cup Ancient Harvest™ Quinoa
¼ cup honey
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
2 apples, diced
- Preheat oven to 350° F, and lightly oil the inside of your mini baking dishes. Recipe makes enough for four small single-serve dishes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the water, Ancient Harvest Organic White Quinoa Grains, honey, vanilla, and cinnamon. Once combined, add diced apples, stirring to coat.
- Divide the mixture between your baking dishes and cover. Place in oven and cook for 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the oven, gently stir the mixture and sprinkle the top with coconut sugar. Return to oven, uncovered, and cook for another 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Remove and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving!
- Optional toppings: Greek yogurt after baked quinoa has cooled, walnuts or coconut shavings – add with coconut sugar
For a week’s worth of protein-packed breakfasts, try these Gluten-Free Breakfast Casseroles with Ancient Grains.